23 July 2008

If fonts were people

Most writer-types, which I suspect more of my readers are, have a bit of a thing for fonts. I wouldn't go so far as to say that we're 'font geeks', but we certainly know fonts (or possibly typefaces - I once knew the distinction, but then I forgot again), and know what we like. If that sounds like you, you'll enjoy this fabulous little movie, Font Conference.

The only thing I thought they got wrong is Old English (he should have been a monk or something). Century Gothic and Futura are my favs.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah yes! I'm a Garamond fan myself or Century Gothic for that sans-serif look ;)

Helen Rickerby said...

Hi Helen, in terms of actually using fonts (as opposed to the characters in the video), I'm also quite fond of garamond. For some reason, I type my poems in book antiqua. Since I've started this blog, I've also started using trebuchet more.

the daily screenwriter said...

Us screenwriter types, sadly, are doomed to Courier (or Courier New if we're being adventurous) - though I must admit I kind of like that monklike asceticism.

A big fan of copperplate, though, in my other life. And that - whaddaya call it - hollow copperplate. Is there a name for that?