21 January 2008

Judge Helen/Poetry Society competition

I’m going to be the judge of the Junior Open section of the New Zealand Poetry Society’s International Poetry Competition, so if you know any budding poets aged 17 or under, encourage them to enter so I’ll have something to read.

The Poetry Society runs this competition every year, and publishes an anthology of poems from the competition. There is an Open section, Junior Open section, Haiku section and Junior Haiku section.

The closing date for entries is 30 May 2008. The rules for the Junior Open section are:

  • The entry fee is $NZ2 per poem.
  • The line limit for each poem is 40.
  • You can send an unlimited number of poems.
  • There will be prizes for two sub-sections: primary/intermediate, and secondary.

If you want to know more, visit http://www.poetrysociety.org.nz/about2008competition, where you can find entry forms and rules and information about the judges.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh! Judge Helen! Just like Judge Judy, but nicer. Hai-kudos to you! Sorry I didn't get back til too late to return your call yesterday. Did you watch the Margaret Mahy programme on Saturday night? I caught pieces of it and was so well impressed. Definitely worth a looksie if you get the chance. I intend to re-read some of her young adult books. I read The Changeover last year and enjoyed it immensely.

Helen Rickerby said...

I'm glad you got the Judge Judy reference! I will indeed be much nicer, but just as fair, I hope.

I had vague ideas of watching the Margaret Mahy doco, but missed it, as I do with most good things I plan to watch on TV1 (they tend to put good things on too late at night, or at times I forget to watch). I haven't read very many of her books actually. I should. Let me know what else you recommend once you've read it.

Catch up with you soon, Helen