28 January 2008

JAAM 25 hits the shops/Tim Jones to edit JAAM 26

JAAM 25 has been unleashed upon the world. I've posted about how to get hold of a copy on JAAM's MySpace page, including which shops currently stock JAAM.

Also, I'm delighted to announce that Tim Jones, poet, short-story writer, novelist and blogger, will be guest editor of JAAM 26. I've posted a call for submissions on JAAM's MySpace page, where you can read all about how to submit. Tim has said that, as well as the literary work we normally receive, he's interested in submissions of speculative fiction and poetry (science fiction, fantasty, horror).

Speaking of JAAM's MySpace page, I set it up on the suggestion of a friend in England, and I'm hoping it will become a useful networking and communication tool, as well as just a website that is really easy to update. I've noticed some other publishing-type organisations doing it too, including Virago Press, Litro, Harper Perennial and, more locally, Blackmail Press and Sidestream.

If you are on MySpace, JAAM would very much appreciate some new friends. Not that it's a popularity contest...

I've also set up a Facebook page for JAAM, but I haven't yet figured out how to use it. When I do, I'll let you know.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I'm over-looking something, because I can't seem to find JAAM submission guidelines. Do you have any that I can look at?

Thanks,

Emma.

Helen Rickerby said...

Hi Emma

If you go to the JAAM Myspace page (www.myspace.com/jaammagazine)and look up on the right-hand side, you should see 'JAAM's latest blog entry' and some lines of text with 'view more' links next to them. If you click the 'view more' next to 'Call for submissions - JAAM 26', you should get to the call for submissions.

Or you could just click this link, which should take you there straight away.

The call for submissions doesn't say an awful lot, except where to send stuff to (jaammagazine@yahoo.co.nz, or snail mail), and that we publish poetry, short fiction, essays, interviews and black and white artwork. But it's worth a look. Let me know if you still have trouble.

In the nearish future I have plans to post some guidelines and advice on submitting to literary magazines, including JAAM, so maybe that might be of use too.

Thanks

Anonymous said...

Hello Helen,

I meant whether it was acceptable to send a document or whether you wanted plain text in the body of an email, that kind of thing. I could have been clearer in my original comment.

It would definitely be interesting to read advice on submitting to literary mags.

Thanks!

Emma.

Helen Rickerby said...

Oh sure! That would be handy to know.

We accept emailed submissions in pretty much any form we can read, but the best formats for us are: in the body of an email or as .doc, .rtf or .pdf attachments.

I'll add that to the call for submissions. Thanks for the prompt.

Helen

Anonymous said...

Thank you!

Emma.